Express your understanding of the concept and mathematics of momentum by answering the following questions. Click on the button to view the answers.
1. When fighting fires, a firefighter must use great caution to hold a hose that emits large amounts of water at high speeds. Why would such a task be difficult?
2. A large truck and a Volkswagen have a head-on collision.
a. Which vehicle experiences the greatest force of impact?
b. Which vehicle experiences the greatest impulse?
c. Which vehicle experiences the greatest momentum change?
d. Which vehicle experiences the greatest acceleration?
3. Miles Tugo and Ben Travlun are riding in a bus at highway speed on a nice summer day when an unlucky bug splatters onto the windshield. Miles and Ben begin discussing the physics of the situation. Miles suggests that the momentum change of the bug is much greater than that of the bus. After all, argues Miles, there was no noticeable change in the speed of the bus compared to the obvious change in the speed of the bug. Ben disagrees entirely, arguing that that both bug and bus encounter the same force, momentum change, and impulse. Who do you agree with? Support your answer.
4. If a ball is projected upward from the ground with ten units of momentum, what is the momentum of recoil of the Earth? ____________ Do we feel this? Explain.
5. If a 5-kg bowling ball is projected upward with a velocity of 2.0 m/s, then what is the recoil velocity of the Earth (mass = 6.0 x 1024 kg).
6. A 120 kg lineman moving west at 2 m/s tackles an 80 kg football fullback moving east at 8 m/s. After the collision, both players move east at 2 m/s. Draw a vector diagram in which the before- and after-collision momenta of each player is represented by a momentum vector. Label the magnitude of each momentum vector.
7. In an effort to exact the most severe capital punishment upon a rather unpopular prisoner, the execution team at the Dark Ages Penitentiary search for a bullet that is ten times as massive as the rifle itself. What type of individual would want to fire a rifle that holds a bullet that is ten times more massive than the rifle? Explain.
8. A baseball player holds a bat loosely and bunts a ball. Express your understanding of momentum conservation by filling in the tables below.
9. A Tomahawk cruise missile is launched from the barrel of a mobile missile launcher. Neglect friction. Express your understanding of momentum conservation by filling in the tables below.